Wednesday, February 25, 2015

C4T#1 Summary

The teachers blog that I commented on was Elvira Deyamport who is a Gifted Elementary teacher for grades 2-6.
Comment 1
The first post that I commented on was about a computer science program called Hour of Code. She talked about how she got her students to participate in this program and to explore the basics of coding. She describes how the tutorials for this program may seem like a game but is actually problem solving and logic. These tutorials use Angry Birds, Flappy Birds and characters from Frozen to better engage the kids in computer science.
The comment that I posted to that post said "I have never heard of the Hour of Code before reading your post. It sounds like an awesome program to learn more about computer science. I have never been the type of person to be interested in computer science, but after reading your post and then visiting the website, I think that I am going to try a tutorial and see how I really like it. This program sounds like a great way to get kids more interested in coding and learning how to better use computers."
Hour of Code


Comment 2
The second post that I commented on was about how social media inspired a few writing prompts for her students. One example was the students had to pick an inanimate object or animal and write a letter giving advice to that object or animal. Another writing prompt, which is my favorite, is writing a scary story in five words. some examples are "The internet is down worldwide," "Imagine the world without pizza" and "There is no wifi here." These different styles of writing prompts encourage students to be more creative.
The comment that I posted said "I really enjoyed this post on how social media inspired the different styles of writing prompts that you assigned to your students. These writing assignments were very different and they let the students be creative in what they want to say. I will definitely be using these writing prompts in my classroom once I become a teacher."
Writing Prompts

No comments:

Post a Comment